Canning Creek Station can boast an interesting pioneer pedigree being originally selected by George Leslie of Leslie Brothers' fame * (eg the first settlers on the Darling Downs at Canning Downs near where Warwick now stands). George Leslie owned Canning Creek Station from 1840 to 1846 before passing it on to Mr St. George Richard Gore, of the Yandilla Station Gore's. Mr Gore became a member of Queensland's first Legislative Assembly in 1860. He surrendered his Canning Creek lease in 1869 and acquired a stud property called Lyndhurst, near Warwick. He is commemorated by a statue in Warwick, a street in Toowoomba, a highway and a railway station. There are also records relating to the leasing of Canning Creek by Captain Robert Gerard Moffatt in 1848 and Robert Tertius Campbell until 1852.
Situated 35 kilometres (22 miles) from Millmerran on the road to Inglewood, Canning Creek Station was named after the Hon. George Canning, the British Prime Minister who died in office in 1824.
The following timeline of events will be updated as more information comes to hand.
1840 Selected by George Leslie
1846 Sold to St. George Richard Gore
1848 80,000 acres of land named 'Canning Creek'. Captain Robert Gerard Moffatt - Claim to
lease of Crown Lands beyond the settled districts. Captain Moffatt dies (aged 47) at
Canning Creek. Sheep station and sheep of the late Captain Moffatt auctioned.
1852 Robert Tertius Campbell (1811-1887) gained the lease of North Branch of Swamps Run in
1849, and continued leasing Canning Creek until 1852.
1860 St. George Richard Gore, member of Qld’s first Legislative Assembly
1869 Gore surrenders lease and acquires Lyndurst, near Warwick
1876 Canning Creek resumption of land
1876 Owned by John Ronald Macansh (husband of Isabel Gore, daughter of St George Richard
1880 Albert Ezzy takes up a 160 acre "prickly pear" lease at Canning Creek called "Bendemeer".
1885 6 Apr 1885 Application for establishment of Provisional School signed by John Jones, John
Hain, Frederick Cornford, Albert Ezzy, David Sharp and Harry Curtis
Provisional School built by Albert Ezzy and Fred Cornford on 2 acre site on Bringabily
15 Nov 1885 Canning Creek Provisional School No. 484 opens.
15 Nov 1885 - 1900 Harry Curtis, Teacher at School
1886 Bringalily Creek Receiving Office, Post Office opens at School, Harry Curtis in charge.
Mail route to Inglewood, children at the school posted and received letters for their parents.
1880’s Late 1880's a separate Bringalily Post Office building erected near the school (see photo).
1889 Sept. Inspector Ross reports new school-house was badly needed.
1900 Early in 1900's approximately ten Chinese men grewing tobacco on the property near creek
on area known as Chinatown. Woolshed was originally built as a tobacco curing shed.
1900 Listohan Receiving Office (Post Office) opens at Canning Creek Station
1900 Mr John Jones, Manager of Canning Creek Station, assisted by Mrs Jones in charge of
Listohan Receiving Office.
Early 1900’s Post Office renamed Bringabilly.
1902 New school built by Messrs Silver and Mabbet.
1902 Average school attendance, ten pupils.
1905 Mr Stanley Nicholas, acquires Canning Creek Station, and appointed Receiving Office
1905 Canning Creek consisted of: 120 square miles, leasehold; 5,600 acres, freehold; 50 square
miles, occupational lease (later Bringalily). 3,000 head of cattle, mostly Shorthorns.
1908 December, Bringabilly Post Office closes
1909 Canning Creek Provisional School becomes State School
1910 Bringabilly Post Office reopens.
1911 May, Bringabilly Post Office closes for final time.
1911 July, Listohan Receiving Office name change to Canning Creek.
1912 Mr Stanley Nicholas dies and Canning Creek Station sold to Mr George Gray (connections
with Quinlan, Gray Company, Whisky Importers of Brisbane)
1912 Mr George Jones, father of Bill Jones of nearby “Wodonga” horse stud, head stockman at
Canning Creek Station.
1912 – 1922 Mr George Gray establishes large dairy with the areas first milking machines installed
with 100 Friesian cows being milked.
? – 1920 Canning Creek Cheese factory operates.
1922 18 April - School closes as full-time school and re-opens as half-time school.
Miss M.V. King teacher at both Canning Creek and Glenside Schools.
20 June – School closed.
School building transferred to Nidi Gully.
1922/23 Canning Creek Post Office closes.
1922 George Gray sells Station to Mr McNamara
1925 Mr McNamara sells to Mr William Edwards.
1934 Mr Edwards sells to Mr Jack Chandler in 1934.
1934 – present Canning Creek owned by Jeff and ? Chandler, sons of Mr Jack Chandler.
THE PEOPLE OF CANNING CREEK
CAMPBELL, Robert Tertius. The NSW Government Gazette published a list of transfers of runs dated 11 October 1848 recording the transfer of Glengallan from Colin Campbell to the unrelated Robert Tertius Campbell (1811-1887) with whom Colin Campbell banked, and it appears that the three Campbell brothers died in 1853. Robert Tertius Campbell, whose father was a Director of the Bank of New South Wales, was related to the Campbells of Duntroon in the Monaro district, and had been lessee of Jondaryan in 1845, gained the lease of North Branch of Swamps Run in 1849, and continued leasing Canning Creek until 1852. The NSW Government Gazette dated 30 July 1852 recorded that RT Campbell transferred his interest in Glengallan to his partner Charles Henry Marshall, who had previously been his managing clerk and whom he took into partnership in Glengallan it appears in 1849-50. RT Campbell then moved on to the newly opened Burnett District.
CHANDLER, Graham and Martha, Canning Creek
CHANDLER, Jeff and Pam, Current owners of site of Canning Creek Station.
CHANDLER, Jack, Purchases Canning Creek from William Edwards, 1934.
CLARK, Miss ?, Teacher at Canning Creek School, early 1900's
CORNFORD, Frederick, Signatory on application for first School, 1885
CORNFORD, Jim, Brother of Fred
CURTIS, Chub, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
CURTIS, Dot (Dorothy), Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
CURTIS, Harry, Signatory on application for first School, 1885. Teacher at Canning Creek Provisional School No.484 from 1885 to 1900.
CURTIS, George, Pupil at first School, 1885
CURTIS, Roy, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
EDWARDS, William, Owns Canning Creek 1925 and sells in 1934 to Mr Jack Chandler
EZZY, Albert, Signatory on application for first School; built first school with Fred Cornford, 1885
EZZY, Charles, Purchases adjoining "Bodamba" property from St George Richard Gore.
EZZY, George, Pupil at first School, 1885
EZZY, Julie, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
EZZY, Roland, Pupil at first School, 1885
EZZY, Maude, Pupil at first School, 1885
EZZY, Clare, Pupil at first School, 1885
EZZY, William, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
GORE, Isabel, Daughter of St George Richard Gore and wife of John Ronald Macansh, owner, 1876
GORE, St George Richard One of the “Grass Barons” in early Darling Downs settlement. Owned Canning Creek 1846 – 1869. See more on St George Gore.
GRAY, George, Purchases Canning Creek from Stanley Nicholas in 1912. Family connections with Quinlan, Gray Company, Whisky Importers of Brisbane Establishes large dairy, installs area’s first milking machines. Sells to McNamara. 1912 to 1922
HAIN, John, Signatory on application for first School, 1885
JONES, Bill, Owner of “Wodonga” horse stud and son of George Jones. “Wodonga” location of first Canning Creek school and Post Office.
JONES, Ada, Pupil first School, 1885
JONES, Alfred, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
JONES, Cis, Pupil first School, 1885
JONES, Flora, Pupil first School, 1885.
JONES, George, Head stockman at Canning Creek, 1912
JONES, John, Signatory on application for first School. 1885. Manager of Canning Creek, in charge of Listohan Receiving Office, 1900
JONES, John Jnr, pupil first school 1885
JONES, Mrs John, assists husband John in running Listohan Receiving Office, 1885
KING, Miss M.V., Teacher, Canning Creek School, May to June 1922
LESLIE, George, First settler of Canning Creek Station, 1840. Brother of Patrick and Walter; Leslie Bros. being the first settlers on the Darling Downs, at Canning Downs, now Warwick
MABBET, George, Builds new Canning Creek School with ? Silver/Silou, 1902
MACANSH, John Ronald Purchases Canning Creek after resumption, 1876
McNAMARA, ?, Purchases Canning Creek from George Gray, 1922 Sells in 1925 to William Edwards
MOFFATT, Robert Gerald, was born 1800 at Ballymahon, Co. Longford, Ireland. Married Helen Church at Lisburn Cathedral, Ireland in 1828. Arrived in Command of the Guard on the convict ship Nithsdale in 1830. Replaced Lieutenant Donelan in command of the Military attachment stationed at Port Stephens in 1832. Magistrate at Parramatta 1834 until 1843. Died at Canning Creek, in March 1848 aged 47.
NICHOLAS, Stanley, Acquires Canning Creek Station, 1905 and appointed Receiving Office Keeper. Dies 1912 – Station sold.
PATTERSON, Andy, Manager of Canning Creek Station for St George Richard Gore 1840's.
REDDIE, Stanley Austin, Born at Canning Creek, 1894 served WWI - ANZAC, Dairyman
SHARP, David, Signatory on application for first School, 1885
SHARP, Harold, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
SHARP, Margaret, Pupil at first School, 1885
SHARP, Lindsay, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
SHARP, Tom, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
SHARP, William Daniel, Stockman, Canning Creek, 1913 - 1963
SILVER, or SILOU, Builds new Canning Creek School with George Mabbet, 1902
WALLACE, Clara (nee Mills), Teacher, Canning Creek, 1915
WALLACE, Alan, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
WALLACE, Murray, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
WALLACE, Nellie, Pupil Canning Creek School, early 1900's
WHITBREAD, Reginald and Julia (eldest daughter of Albert Ezzy), inherit "Bendemeer".
Millmerran & District Schools Centenary, 1982
* Back Creek and Beyond, Millmerran’s Story of Change 1881-1981, edited by Nell Macqueen.
Australian Electoral Rolls
The NSW Government Gazette, 1848